Helen Madoline LOVERIDGE 1
- Born: 9 Jul 1898, Lewisham, New South Wales, Australia,
- Marriage: Arthur Sidney HOSKINS on 15 Dec 1917 in Burwood, New South Wales, Australia
- Died: 2 Jul 1989, Wahroonga, New South Wales, Australia, aged 90
Another name for Helen was Madge.
Helen married Arthur Sidney HOSKINS, son of Charles Henry HOSKINS and Emily Matilda Colley WALLIS, on 15 Dec 1917 in Burwood, New South Wales, Australia. (Arthur Sidney HOSKINS was born on 28 Apr 1892 in Strathfield, New South Wales, Australia, and died on 29 Aug 1959 in Wahroonga, New South Wales, Australia,.)
ARTHUR SIDNEY (Sid) HOSKINS (1892 - 1959)
HELEN MADOLINE (Madge) LOVERIDGE (1898 - 1989)
(from 'Hoskins History' compiled by Donald G. Hoskins, 1988)
A large part of Sid's life was inevitably intertwined with Cecil's; their close association also deepened by the fact that their wives were sisters.
Sid was still at school when the Lithgow works were acquired. He badly wanted to join his brothers on the Eskbank site, but was considered too young to leave school. He remained at Cooerwul Academy for another year, when his father allowed him to take his place with the other family members.
After marriage in 1917, Sid and Madge made their first home at 'Eskroy Park' sadly recently vacated by Guildford's family after his tragic death in 1916. Here two sons and two daughters were born, but again tragedy struck in 1922 with the deaths of their two small boys.
After Charles and Cecil had moved to Sydney, Sid remained in charge of Lithgow for a few years, until he himself moved to Sydney. There in the following three years, two more daughters were born; another son was later born at Brownsville, near Dapto in 1934. The move to the South Coast enabled Sid to play a major role in the establishment of the Port Kembla works. This was interspersed with lengthy overseas trips in connection with steel making. In 1925 Sid became Joint Managing Director on the formation of Australian Iron & Steel Ltd, a position he held until the merger with B.H.P. in 1935, afterwards holding the position of Manager of the Port Kembla Works. In 1927, Sid represented the family interest during the formation of Southern Portland Cement Ltd.
Sid and Madge had bought 75 acres (31 Ha.) of land on the foothills of Mt Keira in 1928, and here in 1938 they completed the building of 'Gleniffer Brae' designed by Madge's brother, Geoffrey Loveridge. The park-like gardens were laid out under the supervision of Paul Sorensen.
Following his retirement in 1949, Sid became interested in land development for grazing in the "Ninety-mile Desert" area in South Australia. Here he bought 20,000 acres in 1952, and built 'Bimbimbi", a graceful country residence, and spent several happy years with Madge, until failing health caused him to return to Sydney, where he died in 1959.
Much of Sid's time and interest was spent on Community affairs. For many years he was President of the South Coast Crippled Children's Society; the Sub-Normal Children's Association; and Patron of the Wollongong Surf Life Saving Association. Probably his greatest achievement is the Mount Keira Scout Camp. Not only was it his conception, but he personally supervised, and largely funded, its construction. He was awarded the Silver Acorn, Scouting's highest Lay award, for his services to the Boy Scout movement. His memory is perpetuated in the Memorial Gateway at the Camp. With Cecil, Sid was an original Trustee of the Lithgow Memorial Church, and a stained glass window was erected to his memory by the members of his family. Madge and Sid presented the Pulpit and Font to the Church in memory of their infant sons Erie and Charles.
Madge Hoskins, in addition to being the mother of a large family and the wife of a busy executive, also has a considerable record of achievement in Community affairs. As well as an interest and involvement in the Anglican Church wherever they have lived, Madge became a Divisional Commissioner for Girl Guides in 1932, and was awarded the Oak Leaf for "generous and most acceptable service" to the Girl Guide movement. She played a leading part in establishing the Y.W.C.A. in Wollongong, also the Red Cross and the C.W.A. During World War II she was President of the Women's Voluntary Services, organising many fund-raising activities at 'Gleniffer Brae'. Madge was at one time President of the Associates at Wollongong Golf Club, and a keen tennis player until the age of 70.
'Gleniffer Brae' has had an interesting history. It was offered to The King's School in the late 1940's, when the School Council was seeking larger grounds, but the offer was declined. Sid and Madge then donated just over 46 acres (18.6 Ha) to Wollongong City Council in 1951 for a War Memorial Park or Botanic Garden. 'Hoskins Park - Wollongong Botanic Gardens' was officially opened by Madge in September 1970. The remaining land, and 'Gleniffer Brae' itself, was purchased by the Sydney Church of England Girls' Grammar School as a boarding and day school for girls. Several years later, the school became co-educational following its merger with The Illawarra Grammar School. However, facing a financial crisis as a result of embezzlement of funds, S.C.E.G.G.S. sold 'Gleniffer Brae' to Wollongong City Council in 1978. It subsequently became a Conservatorium of Music and a function centre.