Arthur Sidney HOSKINS 1
- Born: 28 Apr 1892, Strathfield, New South Wales, Australia,
- Marriage: Helen Madoline LOVERIDGE on 15 Dec 1917 in Burwood, New South Wales, Australia
- Died: 29 Aug 1959, Wahroonga, New South Wales, Australia, aged 67
Another name for Arthur was Sid.
Arthur Sidney (Sid) HOSKINS (1892-1959)
Sid's career in industry of course closely paralleled that of Cecil, and as before most of his working life has already been covered. In his early years, he spent some time working in steel mills in England, and was fond of showing his prowess at many of the hard physical tasks involved in steel-making. After helping manage the Lithgow works, from about 1930 onwards, he made his home in the Illawarra, first in a rented home near Dapto, then in Wollongong, and from there he played the major part in the construction of the works at Port Kembla. He married Helen Madoline (Madge) LOVERIDGE (1898 - 1989) in 1917, and they started married life at Eskroy Park, and here their first two sons, Erie and Charles were born, and both of these children died in infancy. Sid and Madge had purchased a property of 75 acres on the foothills of Mount Keira, and it was not until 1937 that they built the beautiful home, for which Geoff LOVERIDGE was the architect, and which they called Gleniffer Brae, after the Ritchie birth-place, and which is now owned by the Wollongong City Council, and is regarded as a show-piece. They were both active in support of many charities throughout the district, while Sid was personally involved in, and to a large extent financed, the construction of the Mount Keira Scout Camp, where his name is commemorated in a Memorial Gateway which was completed in 1960.
Sid chose to retire in 1949 from his position as Manager of the works in the building of which he had played such an important part, and soon thereafter decided to partake in a large development scheme in the ninety mile desert area in South Australia, and built a fine home there.
After successfully establishing large areas of improved pastures, ill health forced him to return to Sydney, where he died at the comparatively early age of sixty seven years. In later years, Gleniffer Brae was sold to become the Sydney Church of England Girls Grammar School, while about one third of the property was donated to the City Council for parkland purposes, and this has now become the Wollongong Botanic Gardens. In retrospect, it seems extraordinary that the contributions of Sid and Madge to the growth of industry, and their many charitable interests, were not appropriately recognised by suitable decorations.
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence, 1938, Gleniffer Brae, Mount Keira, New South Wales, Australia.
Arthur married Helen Madoline LOVERIDGE on 15 Dec 1917 in Burwood, New South Wales, Australia. (Helen Madoline LOVERIDGE was born on 9 Jul 1898 in Lewisham, New South Wales, Australia, and died on 2 Jul 1989 in Wahroonga, New South Wales, Australia,.)
ARTHUR SIDNEY (Sid) HOSKINS (1892 - 1959)
HELEN MADOLINE (Madge) LOVERIDGE (1898 - 1989)
(from 'Hoskins History' compiled by Donald G. Hoskins, 1988)
A large part of Sid's life was inevitably intertwined with Cecil's; their close association also deepened by the fact that their wives were sisters.
Sid was still at school when the Lithgow works were acquired. He badly wanted to join his brothers on the Eskbank site, but was considered too young to leave school. He remained at Cooerwul Academy for another year, when his father allowed him to take his place with the other family members.
After marriage in 1917, Sid and Madge made their first home at 'Eskroy Park' sadly recently vacated by Guildford's family after his tragic death in 1916. Here two sons and two daughters were born, but again tragedy struck in 1922 with the deaths of their two small boys.
After Charles and Cecil had moved to Sydney, Sid remained in charge of Lithgow for a few years, until he himself moved to Sydney. There in the following three years, two more daughters were born; another son was later born at Brownsville, near Dapto in 1934. The move to the South Coast enabled Sid to play a major role in the establishment of the Port Kembla works. This was interspersed with lengthy overseas trips in connection with steel making. In 1925 Sid became Joint Managing Director on the formation of Australian Iron & Steel Ltd, a position he held until the merger with B.H.P. in 1935, afterwards holding the position of Manager of the Port Kembla Works. In 1927, Sid represented the family interest during the formation of Southern Portland Cement Ltd.
Sid and Madge had bought 75 acres (31 Ha.) of land on the foothills of Mt Keira in 1928, and here in 1938 they completed the building of 'Gleniffer Brae' designed by Madge's brother, Geoffrey Loveridge. The park-like gardens were laid out under the supervision of Paul Sorensen.
Following his retirement in 1949, Sid became interested in land development for grazing in the "Ninety-mile Desert" area in South Australia. Here he bought 20,000 acres in 1952, and built 'Bimbimbi", a graceful country residence, and spent several happy years with Madge, until failing health caused him to return to Sydney, where he died in 1959.
Much of Sid's time and interest was spent on Community affairs. For many years he was President of the South Coast Crippled Children's Society; the Sub-Normal Children's Association; and Patron of the Wollongong Surf Life Saving Association. Probably his greatest achievement is the Mount Keira Scout Camp. Not only was it his conception, but he personally supervised, and largely funded, its construction. He was awarded the Silver Acorn, Scouting's highest Lay award, for his services to the Boy Scout movement. His memory is perpetuated in the Memorial Gateway at the Camp. With Cecil, Sid was an original Trustee of the Lithgow Memorial Church, and a stained glass window was erected to his memory by the members of his family. Madge and Sid presented the Pulpit and Font to the Church in memory of their infant sons Erie and Charles.
Madge Hoskins, in addition to being the mother of a large family and the wife of a busy executive, also has a considerable record of achievement in Community affairs. As well as an interest and involvement in the Anglican Church wherever they have lived, Madge became a Divisional Commissioner for Girl Guides in 1932, and was awarded the Oak Leaf for "generous and most acceptable service" to the Girl Guide movement. She played a leading part in establishing the Y.W.C.A. in Wollongong, also the Red Cross and the C.W.A. During World War II she was President of the Women's Voluntary Services, organising many fund-raising activities at 'Gleniffer Brae'. Madge was at one time President of the Associates at Wollongong Golf Club, and a keen tennis player until the age of 70.
'Gleniffer Brae' has had an interesting history. It was offered to The King's School in the late 1940's, when the School Council was seeking larger grounds, but the offer was declined. Sid and Madge then donated just over 46 acres (18.6 Ha) to Wollongong City Council in 1951 for a War Memorial Park or Botanic Garden. 'Hoskins Park - Wollongong Botanic Gardens' was officially opened by Madge in September 1970. The remaining land, and 'Gleniffer Brae' itself, was purchased by the Sydney Church of England Girls' Grammar School as a boarding and day school for girls. Several years later, the school became co-educational following its merger with The Illawarra Grammar School. However, facing a financial crisis as a result of embezzlement of funds, S.C.E.G.G.S. sold 'Gleniffer Brae' to Wollongong City Council in 1978. It subsequently became a Conservatorium of Music and a function centre.